Remote Internships - Washington, D.C.
Boost your career in international development with us!
This is an opportunity to get to know the inner workings of the leading source of financing for development in Latin America and the Caribbean. During two months of hands-on experience, you will be part of teams who provide operating and corporate solutions to clients from both the public and the private sectors.
Follow us and get the latest news and job openings.
The health and safety of our talent is a priority for us. Due to COVID-19, our Internship Program will continue in a remote modality. Our successful candidates will be able to join us from wherever they are!
What are the basic requirements?
Being a citizen of any of our 48 member countries for internships with the IDB and IDB Lab's teams in Washington, D.C. *Positions at IDB Invest do not have citizenship restrictions.
Being an active undergraduate student (minimum on the third year of college) or graduate-level student (minimum of 50% of coursework completed).
Be between 21 and 27 years old for undergraduate students, and up to 33 for graduate students.
To work full-time (40 hours per week) within predefined dates
Not having relatives at IDB, IDB Invest or IDB Lab
At the IDB Group
Check this out before applying
You will be able to apply for our 2022 Summer Internship Program between March 15 - 31
FAQs for Internships in Washington, DC
HOW TO APPLY?
- Create an account in our system, entering a username and password linked to an email account. If you are already a registered user, please sign in.
- Apply to the internship by filling out all the questions in the posting.
- Attach the following documents in pdf format:
- Cover Letter
- Passport (at this step of the process, it is optional to submit it, but it is required if you are selected)
- Proof of enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate degree that clearly shows total credits required for graduation and the credits completed so far.
- Official Academic Transcripts issued by the academic institution. Must include a list of all the courses taken and grades.
4. All these documents (except the passport) must have been issued within the last 3 months.
5. Keep in mind that you won’t be able to make any changes once the application period is over.
6. Check that you have received a confirmation email, where you will be able to see the internship name and identification number.
At the IDB Group, we review all the resumes received and only contact pre-selected candidates who will move on to the next steps. Please check the Summer/Winter Internship Program timeline for more details.
WHEN ARE INTERNSHIPS WITH TEAMS IN WASHINGTON, D.C. AVAILABLE?
The Internship Programs are awarded for a period of two months: January 16th to March 15th (Winter) and June 16th to August 15th (Summer). Each competitive process begins approximately 3 months in advance. Please check our timeline for updates.
DO YOU MAKE ANY EXCEPTIONS AS TO AGE AND NATIONALITY?
Those who do not meet the age requirement for a given internship at the IDB are eligible for other job opportunities posted periodically in our career section.
In terms of nationality, the IDB does not make any exception. However, Internships at the IDB Invest have no nationality restrictions.
IS THIS A PAID INTERNSHIP?
Yes, interns in our Summer and Winter programs get paid.
WHAT IS THE TIME COMMITMENT FOR THE WINTER/SUMMER INTERNSHIPS?
You must be able to work full-time, meaning 40 hours per week.
If you are an international student in the U.S., please consult with your school before applying. We are aware several students may be limited to part-time opportunities depending on their academic standing.
SINCE THE INTERNSHIP IS REMOTE, IS IT NECESSARY TO HAVE A WORK PERMIT?
Yes, all interns need a working permit from the location where they will be doing the internship remotely.
If you are an international student in the U.S. and get selected to participate in the program, you will need to present a valid work authorization - Curriculum Practitioner Training (CPT) - for the duration of the internship. Please consult your school before applying.